Plantec Coffee Estate
For over 25 years, Plantec Coffee Estate has been growing rare, specialty coffee on one of the northernmost coffee estates in the world. Plantec's founders believe handcrafted production of great-tasting coffee can go hand-in-hand with stewardship of the environment and support of economic progress in surrounding communities. Himalayan Coffee Importers is the exclusive U.S. distributor for Plantec Coffee Estate in Nepal.
Nuwakot District, Nepal; 47 miles North of the capital city of Kathmandu; situated in the foothills of the Himalayas, at the base of the Ganesh Himal mountains and on the banks of the snow-fed Trishuli River. The Estate sits in a frost-free valley that is unusual for this altitude and location (so close to the snow-capped Himalayan mountain range).
- Single largest coffee estate in Nepal and the only one that is 100% USDA Certified Organic.
- The Estate irrigates its fields and wet-processes its coffee with Himalayan snow-melt water.
- Elevation: 2200-2400 ft above sea level.
- Size: 173 acres.
- Harvest Season: December-March (export ready by February/March).
- Annual Pounds Produced: 330,700 lbs.
- Variety: Caturra & Arusha (Arabica Coffee).
- Product Details: Single Estate, 100% USDA Certified Organic, Fair Trade, Bird-Friendly, Shade-Grown, Hand-Picked, Wet-Processed, Sun-Dried, Hand-Sorted.
- Job creation and job training in a remote Himalayan valley that would otherwise lack access to employment. Annually, the Estate employs about 65 individuals.
- Hiring priority given to underprivileged women.
- Equal pay for men and women employed by the Estate.
- Provides employment to many Tamang people (a native indigenous group to the Himalayas).
- Financially supports two local schools in Nuwakot and donates its timber and wood-cuttings, so that these schools can sell them for additional funding.
- Assists small-scale farmers by purchasing their organic compost to use on the Estate.
- Provides ongoing training and support to local and regional coffee farmers.
- Reduces carbon in the atmosphere by producing shade-grown coffee under a canopy of trees that was grown from seed (see 1995-2005 pic).
- Reforestation on the property has contributed to the return of wildlife, including endangered species that had once vanished from the area.
Read about how Plantec Coffee Estate mitigates climate change Here
Plantec Coffee SHOP NOWHimalayan Coffee Importers is the exclusive U.S. distributor for Plantec Coffee Estate.